Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Oh the Saga....Solved!

This morning Drew and Brenna got all packed up an headed out by about 11, my parents are on their way into town and will be here for dinner, so I had a few hours and I thought I'd go over to the DMV and finally take care of this damned car title stuff.

I arrive at the DMV about 11:30 and was pleased to see the parking lot half empty. The line to get a number to wait in line was much longer than it's ever been. ugh. I got to the front and the "Sorting Hat" lady remembered me. Hmmm....wonder why?

I ask if maybe I can check to see if the letter is there before I sit and wait in line, she says sure, just go to window 11 and ask them to look. So I do. The guy goes into the back and I can see him standing by the fax machine going through pile after pile of faxes. Not turning up mine. Finally, after about 10 mins he comes back. My letter is not there. I'm pissed. Again I say a few explitives under my breath and storm out.

I get home and call the Land of Morons, I mean GMAC. The gal there, Mona Lisa (yes, I'm serious) says that the letter was faxed on 7-25, Fri. I gave her a big piece of my mind explaining how this really isn't my problem, they are the ones who messed up and not really understanding why I have to spend this much of my time dealing with their mistake. She offers no apologies. She does however say that she will put in another request for a letter and fax it to the DMV, it should be there in 24-48 hours. AGHHHH!!!!!

I decided to call the DMV to see if maybe there was a "recieved on Fri" file that the guy didn't look in since I told him it would have Mon or Tues. I get the central, call center, but the gal who answered the phone called the Woodbridge DMV then took my number for them to call me back. I was skeptical that I'd get called back, but I did....

About 20 mins after I'd called the phone rang. It was the Woodbridge DMV. No my letter was def not there. However, if I had the original lien relase letter she might be able accept that (I think at this point I was talking to a big wig at the DMV). She said I could come down with the letter and bypass the line and ask for her and she'd see what she could do. She did question GMACs answer of 24-48 hours for a letter if the letter had in fact been sent on 7-25, but there's not much I could do about it.

I high-tail it over there and track down this "Miss Chestnut". She looks at my letters - I now have 2 letters from GMAC indicating that my lien has been paid off. She accepts the one that they randomly mailed me last week because it had a signature on it in blue ink which made her certain it was an orginal. She signs off and instructs the man at the window to take care of me! :) *

He takes my DL and checks the form I filled out, matches up the vin #, collects $10 from me and hands me the title to my car! :) YIPPPEEEE!!!!! I thank them both profusely and escape from the DMV. With any luck it will be at least 6 years before I have to go back!

Now I just have to locate my grandmas car title which has been sitting here for 2 years because I'm supposed to put it in the safe deposit box and I was waiting till I had my title, and get them both safely to the safe deposit box!

*When the customer service guy came over and Miss Chestnut told him that she'd signed off on the transcation, he muttered something like "Why did you do that?" and she muttered back "because I did" I'm guessing that they were trying to get rid of me. hmmm....maybe repeatedly coming into the DMV then storming out with a slew of explitives is the way to solve a problem?

2 comments:

Talmadge said...

I'll take your advice to heart. I've learned more than my share of family language over the years. Some even begin with the letters G, M, A and C. [smirk]

As for Georgia, they've put a smiley face on the whole department: "DMV" was recently dropped in favor of Driver Services.

God bless the colorful Queen's English.

nettiemac said...

Ours went from "Highway Department" to "DMV" a few years back. And you go up front to a receptionist and tell her what category your request falls in. She hands you a ticket and you sit while they call your number.

I don't know which is worse: this method or standing in a random line.

Signed,
Now Serving H701... Now Serving H701