Thursday, March 13, 2008

Dead Skunk

This morning I was driving to school and a very odd, catchy song came on the radio. It was about a dead skunk in the middle of the road. I instantly liked it. I'd never heard it before and figured I'd never hear it again but it made me laugh and that was enough. Then this afternoon I was driving to my allergy shots and channel surfing and what comes out of my speakers but the "Dead Skunk" song!!!! I was able to listen to it all this time and it cracked me up! At first I'd thought that it was new song (and that was going to take away some of the charm) but then I glanced down to see what station it was on....I was listening to my XM radio and it was on the 70s channel!!!! It was a funky, old, rare song! Even cooler! I googled it when I got home and of course it's on YouTube!
I also found the link with the words...and someone else's story about the song....http://www.cwu.edu/~raug/deadskunk.html

2 comments:

Talmadge said...

Loudon Wainwright III. A succulent piece of roadkill on 1973's musical highway.

Now that song's going through my head. Too bad there isn't tomato soup for the ears.

-TG

bolivar said...

Talmadge got it right. "Dead Skunk" by Loudon Wainwright III from the "Album III" album, released in 1972. I have always loved that song... "C'mon, stink!" indeed.

As for Mr. Wainwright, he still performs, makes records, and has been in several movies - I think the latest was "Elizabethtown". Good movie, and the "Free Bird" scene is hilarious. Check it out if you haven't already.