Sunday, July 01, 2007

15 Minute Mile!

Raise your hand if you were traumatized in high school PE class when it came time to run the mile? I HATED the day, each quarter it seemed, that our PE task was to run the mile. Me, I couldn't run 20 feet much less a mile. 4 laps around the track, that was it. Except those laps could have been a million miles long! The goal I remember, was a 15 minute mile. I'm not even sure I could have done 1 lap in 15 mins. Well today, nearly 15 years after high school, I ran a mile in 15 mins!!!!! What an accomplishment!

Now, before you go thinking I'm going run marathons or anything....while I did run a mile in 15 mins, they weren't consecutive minutes! I was on the treadmill and did 3, 5 min intervals where I was jogging at 4 mph!!!! We'll work on extending the time I can run and shorting the rest interval, but I was running for a 5 solid mins, 3 times during my 45 min work out!

I do need to take a moment to thank my sponsors without who this athletic feat would not have been possible - Glaxo-Smith-Kline, the makers of Advair and whoever makes Maxair asthma inhalers (even google doesn't know!) - as the treatment of my allergic and exercise induced asthma has dramatically increased my endurance when it comes to anything even remotely athletic!

No comments: