Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Tales From the 'Hood: New Concrete

Yesterday there were work crews in my court replacing cracked and damaged portions of the sidewalk, leaving a number of squares of wet concrete to dry on a surprisingly un-humid day.

Last night, around 7:30, I stepped out to retrieve my dog, who had escaped yet again through the fence that doesn't quite close tight and the lawn-boys always leave a little open, and I saw 2 of my neighbors contemplating the new sidewalk square.

I said: Checking out the new sidewalk huh? and my neighbor replied: "Did you see what my son did?" And she pointed to some barely visible writing at the top of the square (by where the sidewalk meets the yard of the house in front - where her son had carefully etched his name and the date into the fresh concrete.

I chuckled and allowed as to how I'd considered writing something in the wet concrete myself! She says that her son did this once when he was 4 and now he's going to college and he is still doing it and tells me how mad she and her husband are.

I said that I thought there were way worse things and really a name etched in the pavement gave it character. She was stunned, and I think a little peeved that I wasn't upset about this. I then added that now every time I head out I'll see her sons name and think about him, I might even say a little prayer that all is going well for him in college (she is one of those scary "you are going to h*ll if you miss a Sunday at church, prayer (something good) can't possibly come of something this heinous" Christian, so I know that comment peeved her, which was my goal). She seemed flabbergasted that defacement of public property didn't bother me at all.

I left her to her anger and went to drag my dog home. Being extra careful to make sure she didn't step on the new concrete!

As I walked away I thought....
First of all, he ain't the sharpest tool in the shed - if you are going to vandalize something (and admittedly writing in wet concrete is vandalism) DO NOT write your name!!!! HELLO!!!!! A heart, a peace sign, a smiley face, all would have gotten the job done w/o drawing any attention to yourself, unless someone saw you, and even then you could deny it.

2nd - lighten up people! If this is the worst thing this 18 year ever does (and that's how the parents were acting) consider yourself lucky. I mean etching ones name in small letters in new concrete is hardly a punishable sin considering all the other trouble an 18 year old college bound kid could get into!

No comments: