Sunday, March 25, 2007

Tagged by Susan

Susan has tasked me with telling you all about 7 songs I'm into right now....hmmm tough task...

The guidelines are: List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what they are. They must be songs you are currently enjoying. Then tag seven other people to see what they’re listening to.

This is a tough one since what I'm enjoying listening to typically changes by the day! Most of the time when I'm listening to my iod I have it on "shuffle" and I sometimes listen to the 1st part of a song then skip to the next one...these are the songs that I don't skip though (this week)....

1. James Taylor - (I've got to) Stop Thinking about That - This is from his greatest hits volume 2 album - I actually like this album much better than the 1st one. In fact pretty much anything on this album I like enough to play it everytime it comes up in my ipod!


2. The Samples - Shine on. This is an old favorite from Summer Camp. The Samples are a small band that has actually disbanded...they had quite a following in their day, I didn't become a fan until they were done but I still really enjoy this song and the whole album that it came from. Sadly this song seems to hardley ever come up when I shuffle my ipod.

3. Enya - Amid the Falling Snow. This is from Enya's latest album - Amarantine - and it's my favorite from the album. I did enjoy it more when it was snowing a few weeks ago!

4. Dave Matthews Band - Lie in Our Graves. I am a huge DMB fan and I recently discovered this song - it's on the "Crash" album which is one that I didn't listen to as much because a few of the songs just sound like noise and I only discovered this song when I uploaded the album to my ipod - I don't usually skip over DMB songs!

5. John Devner - Looking for Space. When I was a kid my parents listened to a lot of John Denver and I still enjoy him now! This song is from his "Greatest Hits Vol 2" album - which interestingly enough I like better that the first Volume! I really enjoy listening to John Denver when I'm going to the mountains - it just seems to fit!

6. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Snow (Hey Oh!) or Dani California - it's a toss up since I like both songs so much! Again the Snow song was a bigger fav a few weeks ago when it was snowing! Both are just fun songs that I like to blast as loud as I can!

7. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Eine Klein Nachtmusick. I like lots of classic music however most of what I'm familar with I don't know artist/title because my dad always listened to it, but I never knew what we were listening to! This is one of the few that I know what it is and I loaded into my ipod for some study music but have been enjoying it on my way to school in the mornings!


Now, who to tag....I don't think 7 people read this so no idea if anyone will see this.... I guess I'll tage Andrew L., John Z., Brenna, Liz J., Judy (I know Susan tagged you, but I don't think there are any rules about tagging twice...I'm tempted to tag Susan again 'cause she didn't say "no backsies!), Matthew S. - I know you are busy with college and all.... Let's see one more....I know...if you are reading this and I didn't name you then I tag you...leave me a comment so I can know who you are! :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Okay, so I received the tag but haven't reposted or replied. Sorry, moving for the seventh time in seven years (and hopefully the last time in the next seventy years) kinda got in the way. So, seven songs I'm into......

Pino Forastiere -- Rag Tap Boom from Rag Tap Boom

I came across this recording on my first journey to Alaska on the only station I could pick up driving between Soldotna and Girdwood and I instantly fell in love with Forastiere's creativity, sense of humor and artistic mastery. The playfulness and spirit of his music capture my feelings about Alaska.


Zero 7/Tina Dico -- Home from When It Falls

I heard this song first when I was online looking for a video of another Zero 7 song and I was instantly impressed with the simplicity of the piece and the beauty of the song.


Metheny/Mehldau -- Say the Brother's Name from Metheny/Mehldau

This is Pat's latest album and this is my favorite track. I've been an avid Pat Metheny fan for many years and I own just about every one of his more than 2 dozen albums. Katrina and I just heard the tour of this album live in Seattle during our last weekend living there.


Herbert Howells -- Long, Long, Ago from Angel Songs for Christmas by the Choir of the Advent Church

During my brief time working over the summers in Boston I stayed with one of the choir members who participated in this remarkable recording and I've been hooked on it ever since. It is worth a listen!


Aaron Jay Kernis -- Musica Celestis

I heard this piece for the first time on one of my many drives across the country last summer moving from Florida to Washington. Somewhere in the middle of Kansas with bright sun and waving fields of wheat this piece came on and it seemed like I was listening to a little piece of heaven.


Pat Matheny -- Part 3 from The Way Up

Okay, as an avid fan, I have to add a second piece of Pat's. Another recent recording, this time with his regular group, The Way Up is an ambitious continuous piece for the entirety of the cd. The only reason the work is divided into four parts on the cd is for ease of indexing and finding specific parts otherwise it is a startlingly cohesive whole work with disguised and overt reintroductions of themes throughout.


John Ireland -- A Downland Suite

Another work I heard on the radio this time while in the process of moving from Seattle to Anchorage. Simply a beautiful work.