Monday, July 25, 2011

Last Day

It was a very chilly night!  I was almost all alone in my loop of the campground too so it was quiet and dark! I finally got totally uncomfortable in my “mummy bag” and unzipped it and used it as a blanket even though that let cold air in!  I was so comfortable and snuggly warm I slept in until 7:30! Latest I’ve slept in the whole trip!

When I finally drug myself out of bed I had a lot to do to pack up and get ready to turn in the RV.  But first I wanted another leisurely morning drinking my coffee and reading my Kindle in the chilly morning air!  While I was eating a flock of turkeys came through my campsite!  There were only 5 of them and they just walked through, not bothering me or anything! 

Despite the big mess I felt like I had to contend with I was all packed up and reasonably organized in just about an hour!  With all my stuff packed I was ready to dump and proceed to the rental place and then find something fun to do until my flight.  I headed over to my parents campsite to borrow Dad’s hose and let them know I was about ready to go. 

This is when the day kinda got “derailed”…

When I pulled up Dad was furiously trying to fix the hot water heater in their motorhome.  It’s already not working on propane and now it wouldn’t work on electricity either.  He was not happy.  In addition the electricity kept going out (they have a plug in at their site).  Eventually it was discovered that the circuit breaker was bad and the hot water heater worked just fine when he plugged into the 20 amp plug.  Aghhhh!!!!! 

While he was messing with that I got my RV dumped – the toilet and the grey tanks.  I also filled it up with fresh water.  I moved my luggage to the Jeep – I think I had less stuff for my whole two week vacation than we take for a day trip!  At least it looked like less stuff!

Since we weren’t going anywhere anytime soon I started doing some internet stuff although the connection was frustratingly slow  and neither Mom or I could get anything done!  Finally we’d decided we’d take the Mifi card with us and find a place with better service!

It was after noon before we decided to mosey over to the RV rental place.  We were about halfway there when Dad called to suggest that we stop for lunch first.  (luckily I saw the cop AFTER the conversation since talking on a cell phone while driving is illegal in CA!) So we went into Castro Valley to the ice cream place we went to Saturday night – their food looked good.  Apparently they had a trainee cook and only 2 waitresses because it took over an hour to get our food!  It was after 2 before we left!

Finally we were heading to the RV place, luckily I had till 4! A quick stop for gas and we were there!  I turned in the van with no issues.  They didn’t even charge me for generator use because I lodged my complaint about the battery! 

After the RV place it was off to the post office to return my defective Kindle .  The line was crazy long and I had to wait what felt like forever.  Mom and Dad were in the car with the mifi card!

(As you can see this is prob the most exciting vacation day yet huh?)

Now it was about 3:30 and I didn’t need to go to the airport until 8!  We ended up going to a park that’s on the same lake as the campground – there’s a boat rental and walking trail.  I half suggested that we rent kayaks but we weren’t sure we had time.  We walked around a bit then attempted to make our own hotspot at a picnic table but the mifi card was WAY too slow.  My phone was working, but what I wanted to do I couldn’t do on my phone!  Mom and I read our Kindles and Dad did stuff on his computer. 

Finally we decided it was time for dinner.  We found a neat place called Fresh Choice – it’s a lot like Souper Salad in Oklahoma – kinda like a Golden Corral but all veggies and salads and stuff.  It was pretty yummy! We need something like that in Woodbridge. 

After dinner we went right to the airport.  As we were pulling in I checked my flight status and discovered it was delayed an hour! Not leaving until midnight (3am EDT)!  ugh! I refused to go into the airport at 7 if the flight wasn’t leaving till midnight so we went to Costco that was close to the airport and then came back. 

It’s currently 9:15 am I’m through security, I had the full undivided attention of 7 TSA agents! Amazing difference from Dulles! Apparently there are only 2 or 3 flights leaving Oakland at this hour! Nice!  Anyway, I found a plug and they have free wifi here…and it’s fast (of course anything would seem fast after the .5 KB/s we were getting on the mifi card this afternoon!  I’m uploading pictures and and will soon have the blog all up to date!  Hopefully the plane leaves on time at midnight!

No comments: