Saturday, May 22, 2010

Going on an Eagle Hunt

I’d been wanting to go kayaking for awhile, but the spring pollen season was making me think it would  be a bad idea. I’d been taking the kids out for recess and hadn’t had any issues, and the pollen all seemed to burst out about 3 weeks early so it made sense that it was done already so, I decided that some outdoor fun would be in order.
I’d decided that my next kayaking adventure would be at Mason Neck State Park, a small state park right on Belmont Bay.  The big pull of Mason Neck is that they have several mated pairs of bald eagles and there’s a good chance you’ll see one while you are there! 
It was cloudy and humid as I headed out to the park, with rain and thunderstorms predicted later in the day.  I rented a kayak and was quickly on my way up Kane’s Creek in search of eagles. 
While I was out in the kayak the sun came out and it turned into a beautiful morning!  On the shore the Mt. Laurel and other flowers were in bloom and on the water there were many types of marsh grasses to navigate through. 
I saw a Great Blue Heron and paddled into a little cove to see if I could get his picture, the heron flew off before I could get the camera out, but I spied a HUGE black snake sunning himself on a log so I paddled over there.  I actually bumped the log with the kayak trying to get a picture of the snake, and that’s when it occurred to me that the snake was really long – I could see most of him all curled up – and if he got mad at me he could be in the boat with me pretty easily!  I enjoyed looking at the snake, but I didn’t feel the need to get any closer, so I slowly backed the kayak away!
As I paddled further up Kane’s creek I started seeing more and more Great Blue Heron’s.  I couldn’t decide if I was seeing lots of different herons or the same 3 or 4.  When I got back the ranger told me that I’d probably seen lots of different herons because there is a heron rookery not far from Kane’s Creek.  
I paddled as far as I could up Kane’s creek.  The combination of low tide and the "no trespassing” signs put an end to m explorations!  As I paddled back I took my time and enjoyed the beautiful morning! 
As I paddled back across Belmont Bay I saw another snake, this one was swimming! He stopped swimming as I crossed his path and looked at me like: “what are you doing here?”
Back at the Visitor Center I found out that I’d paddled about 3 miles!  In under 2 hours too!  It was a great way to enjoy the morning and didn’t take all day!  As I left the park I was seriously considering purchasing my own kayak. 
I have done some research into buying a kayak.  It’s about a $1000 investment and you have to jump in with both feet – you have to buy the whole package – kayak, paddles, life jackets and car top carriers, so that’s slowing me down.   I don’t want to buy one and then not use it. 


Kayaking @ Mason Neck

No comments: