Sunday, July 12, 2009

Maine - Day 2, Part 2 - Silent Night

Scroll down and read the post from Friday 1st to get the whole story!

Last night after my computer battery died I began preparing for bed. I turned off the light and headed back to the bedroom (maybe later today I'll take some pics of the interior of the RV and give you all a "tour"!), I flipped on the little light above the bed and it was working but dim. I then noticed the refrigerator had a "C" in the display....hmmmm...that wasn't right. Using my flashlight I dug out the owners manual. The "C" was a fault code for "not enough electricity". Then I started worrying - the fridge runs on LP gas (propane) and if the fridge isn't working, is the LP gas leaking? There is an "LP gas alert" monitor, but what if it runs on the battery too? Which means if there was a leak it wouldn't go off? So since it was only 10:30 I decided to call mom and dad.

I have no coverage at the campground, and my phone only had a partial charge anyway so I didn't want to use it all up. There was a pay phone by the bus stop so I put on shoes and got my wallet and my phone and a flashlight and headed out there. I was able to put the call on my credit card and mom and dad hadn't quite gotten to bed yet. Dad assured me there was no safety issue (other than for my ice cream sandwiches which by that point were closer to "cream") but that the main battery was likely totally shot since it won't hold it's charge and I needed to call the rental people and they needed to fix it. This, right here, if why I don't have a MH of my own!!!!!

As I was walked away from the phone I tried to turn my flashlight on. It wouldn't come on. In keeping with what appeared to the be theme of the evening, the batteries were dead. Luckily I remembered a few landmarks to get me back to my RV and I knew exactly where I had extra AA batteries. It was quite dark in the campground but my eyes adjusted quickly. I was amazed by how quiet it was. Only the sound of the wind! I could faintly hear the ocean crashing, but that was it.

I got back and replaced the flashlight batteries (I walked to the bathhouse to use their light) and all was well.

I sleep with a sound machine for white noise. I'm not sure I have slept without it on for years. I brought it with me, but it is non-functional - the light comes on but no sound comes out. No big deal, I have an app for that! :-) Yeah, well when your phone only has a partial charge and it's your only clock you don't want to risk running it down using your sound machine. So I attempted to sleep in silence.

It was really a very pleasent evening. I had the windows open and the breeze was very pleasant. I did fall alseep, only to wake up to rain at 2:30 am. Amazing the different sounds rain can make on the roof of an RV. It rained the rest of the night and that helped - was like the sound machine! I woke up at 8 and got moving.

I got all packed up and headed back to the pay phone and called Rene and told him the problem, he's working on a solution.

I'm now hanging out at a lovely internet cafe! I'm charging the computer and the phone and blogging! I posted all the pics from the last 2 days. They have yummy crossiosants and strong coffee! I'll def be back here! :-)

1 comment:

Kate/Susan said...

Wow, the saga of this MH is fascinating!!! This is one you'll remember a long time :) Keep posting, I'm enjoying your tales from the road!