Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Warm?

Right after I made my reservations to come to Canaan Valley I was talking with a friend of mine at school about it - she was saying that she and her husband had come out here a few years ago, so I asked "is it a nice place?" Without stopping to think she says "no". But then she qualified her answer explaining that it's like a National Park lodge - a room that is functional - you sleep in it and it's biggest plus is that it's warm.

I was sitting by the door reading my book today (the only place to just sit) and when the wind would gust snowflakes came in through the crack between the door and the door frame.

hmmmm...so much for the one plus of the room! :) *

*The rooms aren't that bad - they are definitly dated, and worn, and small and not reflective of a "resort", but they are definitly what one would expect at a West Virginia State Park - even the snow blowing in through a closed door is very West Virginia!

2 comments:

Talmadge said...

What fun would NPS rooms be without the rustic/aged/worn/spartan factor? To my way of thinking, that's part of the whole experience.

Happy New Year from the wilds of Rincon, Georgia. 49 blazin' hot degrees on the Gleck-ometer.

Unknown said...

I do agree.

However, the poor design of this lodge - no common area - meant that I was stuck in my room pretty much all day yesterday! Also, I have horrible dust mite allergies and sleeping in places like NPS lodges really do a number - even with meds! Any hotel will have the same problem, but the aged/worn factor increases the allergy factor. I'm seriously considering getting a mothorhome to fix this exact problem - only if I'd had a MH I wouldn't have been able to come here now - too cold for MHing. Also, I never could have taken a MH on the FR!