Monday, October 13, 2008

The New Adventures of an Old Chair

Most of my furniture is "mid-century hand-me-down", which I got basically for free from my parents and grandmothers. A few years ago when my grandmother moved into assisted living and we sold her house, I inherited her dining room set and matching end tables, coffee table and rocking chair. The rocking chair had a cushion that was covered in an itchy green, gold and orange plaid fabric - a fabric that fit perfectly with the "mid-century" decor that my grandmother had going on, but it clashed horribly with my slipcovers. In addition, I was certain that the cushion was crawling with dust mites and other nastiness. I removed the cushion from the chair and put it in a garbage bag so I could take it to Calico Corners and get a new cushion made.

I'd looked for some fabric to cover it with and had a hard time because everything I liked was a stripe and I already had 2 different stripes in the room. Then I thought about getting rid of the old couch and getting a new one, which would mean I could get the new cushion with a stripe. I was stymied.

This summer I finally decided that I would just go to Calico Corners, pick a fabric and be done with it. When mom and dad were visiting at the end of July mom and I went to Calico Corners and picked out a lovely yellow micro-suede fabric that goes with the decor now and would go with whatever else I decided to do.

The new cushion arrived last week and it looks great! :) The new cushion should be good for another 50 or more years!



No comments: