Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Book Quest

Have you ever had something that you just had to have right now?

That happened to me today.

Alice Hoffman is one of my favorite authors and her brand new book was to be released today. Borders was having their Educator Appreciation Week and with my teacher ID I could get 25% off and today was the last day. I had it all planned out - after school I'd head over and get the book and maybe a few other things. I was so excited because I never buy brand-new hardbacked books - I almost always use the library or wait till it's in paperback.

I got delayed leaving school so it was after 6 before I got to Borders and I went in on a quest - I scoured every table for the book - it's not there. I finally find the New Releases and scour it...no book. I'm getting a bit worried - maybe it didn't come out today. I then think to go to the shelf - maybe it's not on a special display? I get to the shelf and no new book. :( I find the one we are reading for book club in May, Blackbird House, which I was planning to buy so I get it and continue my quest. I'm not having any luck so I go to the "Title Sleuth" and type in the title and author. It says that it's "on reserve and will be here soon". What? I finally ask the man at the info desk and he looks in his special computer and tells me that the book was "in transit" and would be here in 4 or 5 days. What? The book was released today, I should be able to buy it today. The guy said that the shipment must have been delayed or something and that I could check back in a few days. Not going to happen. I didn't "need" the book, but suddenly, just because I couldn't get it probably, I had to have it. Now.

I did browse the pathetic children's section and got some EyeWitness books that were on sale and then took off...

I decided to check Costco - they sometimes have new books and I could pick up a cheap dinner too! They didn't have it, but they had some great pizza!

When I got home I went to Barnes&Noble.com and low and behold it said that the closest B&N to me had the book. I called them up and asked to be sure. Yes, they had the book and they'd place one on hold for me! It was 8:15 and they closed at 10. I was on my way!

I get to B&N about 8:30 and headed to the children's section, which was amazing comapared to Borders! There's just something about hanging out in a book store late at night (ok 8:45 is prob only late to me) and having the place pretty much to yourself! I found 7 other books that I needed, including some that were buy 2 get one free! I finally headed over to the checkout to get my book and see how much damage I'd done.

I was chatting with the check-out gal and told her I was a teacher. Did I have a B&N teacher discount card? No I didn't. Well, she could hook me up - even took my word for it when I didn't have my ID badge on me! She even gave me 25% everything - not just the stuff for my classroom! That means I saved $5.00 on my hardcover book!

Book Quest successful! :)

No comments: